Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Random: J.Crew Gingham Shirt Gets Own Instagram Account

"Thanks!" to many of you, including J.Crew Guy In Canada, Erin, as well as traderscoobies and JSR (in this post),  who let us know about the following random news: J.Crew's Gingham Shirt for Men has its very own Instagram account (click here).

If that is not random enough, this story is everywhere (including Time and GQ)! The following is from the Huffington Post (click here to read in its entirety):
This Is The 'Bacon Of Shirts'
By Jamie Feldman
August 21, 2014

There are some shirts so classic and timeless, they become staples in just about everyone's wardrobe. The J.Crew Gingham print button down is one of those shirts. Guys either have one or want one --and we all know someone who has worn one.

Need proof? You'll find it on this clever Instagram account, aptly called "thatjcrewginghamshirt." We chatted with the brains behind the sartorial operation Jonathan San about how he came up with the idea, why he thinks the shirt is so popular and of course, if he has one of his own.

So, do you own the shirt? If so, in what color?
Yep, in navy. Navy blue gingham is patient zero in my book.

How did you come up with the idea?
I probably first noticed how ubiquitous the shirt was last year. I remember going to a movie with one of my friends and we both ended up wearing that J. Crew gingham shirt. From then on, I started seeing that same shirt everywhere just walking around New York City. Then a few weeks ago I was watching "The Internship" and I saw Owen Wilson wearing it, and I was like "that shirt"! I saw someone wearing it in line at Pret A Manger the next day and knew that I had to make an Instagram.

Why that shirt?
Mostly because I see it everywhere and 90% of my friends own it. Honestly, when I walk around I see people wearing the shirt and those who are not. It's like seeing the world in black and white, except it's gingham and not-gingham. And if you don't own that J. Crew gingham shirt you're either lying or just seriously out of the loop. Go buy it.

Why do you think so many guys have it?
I would go with it being a "safe choice." Your dad can wear it, your taxi driver -- I recently was in a taxi with a driver wearing it -- can wear it, your boyfriend can wear it. It's the bacon of men's shirts, and who doesn't like bacon? Also, vegans and vegetarians are totally allowed to wear this shirt.

Where do you find most people wearing it?
I've seen them all just walking around New York -- I see at least one a day. Now a lot of my friends will see one and take a photo and text it to me. It's hilarious. I've seen I think three in one night, that might be the record so far, although now some people are tagging me in their own photos. I recently was tagged in one photo of a girl wearing it, which is the first. The first GingGirl...we're breaking through the glass ceiling for sure.

Has anyone ever confronted you about taking their photo? Have you had any issues?
Nobody's ever confronted me. I don't think anyone's ever noticed. You'd be surprised how close you can get to someone and take their photo and they have no idea. Plus it's all in good fun.. and everyone looks good in that shirt.

This is pretty funny! Quite honestly, the shirt is a classic staple and I can see its mass appeal. It is the type of shirt that looks great on anyone and everyone. Plus, it works well for almost any situation. Going to the office? Wear the Gingham Shirt. Going out with friends? Wear the Gingham Shirt. Dinner with the fiance? Wear the Gingham Shirt.

What would really be awesome??? If there was some sort of Meetup.com group for "wearers of That J.Crew Gingham Shirt". Then everyone meets up while wearing the shirt. ;)

What are your thoughts on the J.Crew Gingham Instagram account? If you could create another Instagram account for an item from J.Crew, which item would it be?

10 comments:

  1. For the classic women's item, that would be perfect for an Instagram account, I would go with the Navy Schoolboy blazer. I have seen it on many many friends. :) And of course I own it too. I can't wait to read other people's thoughts on this! Should be fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wear my classic navy schoolboy all the time. I imagine even more people should own it now since the new navy schoolboy was on sale for ~$50 about 2 months ago.

      Delete
  2. Beats a Snuggie party.

    I would create an Instagram account for the downtown field. I see it all the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the downtown field jacket is pretty popular too. Good suggestion!

      Delete
  3. I have a jcrew navy gingham shirt an also wear it all the time! Best story: one time I wore my navy gingham shirt to a bar and there were two other guys wearing navy gingham as well. I think we all looked great :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. My husband and I were recently out for dinner with another couple and both the guys were wearing the blue gingham shirt. Hahaha. We had random people coming over to our table to comment on it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not sure if this is great promotion for J.Crew or if men will probably retire their gingham shirt and not wear it as often because of this? But what if that gingham shirt is not from J.Crew? What if its another brand? Funny some people assume that it is...

    Great idea on the Downtown Field jacket, Gigi! I have seen a few women wear it in downtown SF; and can spot those gold buttons a mile away...

    ReplyDelete
  6. The J. Crew bubble necklace needed its own Instagram back in the day :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I will admit I do like the gingham and have four I wear; one red, one in the infamous blue another in black and even one in purple. I my defence they do have three different size gingham, two micro, one standard and one larger in scale.

    So I will swear off buying any more gingham shirts. For now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have one in Navy I got years ago :) and of course my little boy has to have a gingham shirt his size every year as a staple. Just is.

    ReplyDelete

Dear J.Crew Aficionadas & Aficionados: Please feel free (and encouraged) to share your thoughts and opinions. :) However, please note that this is still a personal blog. So comments that are considered inappropriate (e.g. obscene, racist, homophobic, personal attacks, rude, and just plain mean) will be removed.

And now back to J.Crew! :)