Thursday, June 6, 2013

JGIC Product Review: Walk Away From the Tank Top

A big "thanks!" to J.Crew Guy In Canada who is graciously reviewing Men's items from J.Crew with us.
Summer can be a really tough time to look good without looking too sloppy, casual or wrinkled.  And don't get me started on the dreaded tank top.  Thankfully J.Crew has a few choices for us.  And no today's post has nothing to do with wrinkly linen.

You say seersucker and everyone thinks old man, way too preppy or possibly what the #@&* is that?  The slim seersucker stripe #45842 is a sharp option.  The navy is tone one tone and from a few feet away reads like a solid shirt; which in a way it is.  The shirt is slimmer so for any of us carrying some extra chunk might want to pass.  I must say when I wear this shirt I stand taller, look slimmer (is that why so many people wear dark colours?) and continually make sure I keep my stomach sucked in.  But the shirt is so cool, both figuratively and literary.  The seersucker fabric doesn't wrinkle or really crease and so even on those hot days that make linen look like a hot mess seersucker looks polished and pulled together.  Worn with a Bowery shirt for work or a dinner out or go very casual and pair it with shorts untucked.

Warm weather seems to bring out the worst in so many guys.  Their go to look is either a loose sloppy tee with shorts and flip flops or an untucked polo.  Why not try a popover.  No not a pastry, but basically a button down oxford with only half its buttons.  My favorite of the bunch is the short-sleeved popover in blue oxford #65932.  Slightly fitted but not as narrowly cut as the above slim seersucker.  You can wear it tucked in like a summer shirt, but it really works best untucked with chinos or shorts.  The lighter oxford fabric is well cut and soft in a light blue colour.  You can even throw a fleece, hoodie or sweater over top if it's cool out and pop the collar if you want to put some 80s vibe into your look.

I always know it's summer when all those white legs show up along with tank tops.  Hopefully I won't encounter any tank tops with the over scooped arm holes.  Nothing worse than seeing too much armpit hair or worse yet some side boob.
Another fantastic review! "Thanks!" again to J.Crew Guy In Canada for his view on the challenges of dressing for hot weather. Frankly, the "side boob" line made me smirk. It's a look that rarely works for women, let alone men.

What are your thoughts on post? Are there items from J.Crew that are a must to wear during the hotter months of the year? :)

7 comments:

  1. Another well written & entertaining post, JCGIC. I always enjoy them. Slowly winning over my husband to J Crew. It's been a long journey. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. My neighbor must have been in his prime in the mid 80s since we can always count on sleeveless tees and short shorts when May comes. It never fails to amuse my hubby and me.

    Maybe he will read this and take your advice? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My husband has a lot of old-school JC pieces (back when the tag was cream colored with the green J.Crew and the oarsman on it) - contrast-sleeve baseball tees, ringer tees, really thick chinos. He hasn't been finding much to love at JC in the last few years because he considers everything to be cut "too slim". I like the oxford popover!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My DH wears a lot of the lighter weight J.Crew shorts (seersucker, chambray) as well as the washed short sleeve button downs. I'm not sure I could convince him to wear an item of clothing called a "popover" but I always love reading new ideas. I'm slowly integrating more J.Crew in to his wardrobe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for this great post...made me laugh. I agree tank tops on men, and many women...scary sight. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey ladies; I agree that the name popover sounds kinda cheesey, but the shirt has received very favourable responses. I've worn it with some dark plaid shorts and it looked great.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nice post. I just stumbled upon your weblog and wished to say that I have truly enjoyed surfing around your blog posts. After all I’ll be subscribing to your rss feed and I hope you write again soon!
    mens tank top

    ReplyDelete

Dear J.Crew Aficionadas & Aficionados: Please feel free (and encouraged) to share your thoughts and opinions. :) However, please note that this is still a personal blog. So comments that are considered inappropriate (e.g. obscene, racist, homophobic, personal attacks, rude, and just plain mean) will be removed.

And now back to J.Crew! :)